Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Updates and Ice!



No school again today! I’ve been sitting with no electric all morning. Everything outside is covered in ice. Due to this being the second snow day of the week, I am getting behind on the research process. I was not able to work with the HELPS group on Monday and now the HELPS group today. I am thankful to say that I did get a full week of research in last week. Somehow, I will have to find the time to make up the time I am missing with my groups this week. I will go ahead and take this time to reflect on the progress of the repeated reading group.

Repeated Reading Group:
I have been very pleased with the results that I am receiving from this group. They seem to be enjoying the process of repeated reading. I explained to them the purpose of repeated reading and they are very excited to see their progress each time they read. I have worked with this group a total of three times up to this point. I give each student a copy of the passage during each session. I have them circle where they stop each time they read. I time them for one minute each time. It is merely impossible for me to keep a running record for each student, especially since the students are reading the passage three times each. What I have been doing is working with the group, having them circle each time where they stop, and then I call them back over to work with me one at a time. I simply have them read the passage one time, marking the miscues as they read. This gives me an idea of how well they are doing with this passage since this is the fourth time they will be reading the passage. This process has seemed to be working well. Below you will find a chart of the results from the students. All scores resemble to fourth time the child read the passage. All names used in the chart are pseudonyms. 

Repeated Reading Students Name
1/28/2014 (Word count 94)
1/30/2014 (Word count 82)
2/4/2014 (Word count 118)

RR Bra
43/3
56/2
50/2

RR M
59/1
63/0
64/0

RR I
75/0
65/0
76/0

RR N
88/1
78/1
96/0

RR Br
90/2
81/1
80/3

RR A
94/0
82/0
118/0

RR Bro
94/0
82/0
104/0

**Score are WCPM/ Miscues. Also all scores resemble the fourth time students read the passage.



As you can see, progress is being made from week to week. For example, student RR M went from 59 WCPM the first session to 64 WCPM the third session. Student RR A went from reading 94 WCPM the first session to reading 118 WCPM the third session. Stay tuned for updates on the HELPS group and Houghton Mifflin reading series group. 



No comments:

Post a Comment